Common Mistakes To Avoid When Buying a School Bus
They’re all big and yellow but investing in a new vehicle for your school district is more complicated than it seems. Take a look at these common mistakes to avoid when buying a school bus so you can make a well-informed decision.
Mistake One: Skimping on Safety
No other vehicle on the road is as regulated—or safter—than a school bus. Technology is always evolving and improving safety measures for school buses. Until federal regulations catch up to require more features, your district might want to consider:
- GPS and Wi-Fi technology to monitor where the bus is at all times.
- Additional lights to call attention to the bus, especially during stops.
- Air purifiers to filter out larger contaminants and discourage viruses.
Mistake Two: Ignoring Video Possibilities
When you’ve decided on a likely candidate for purchase, think of it as a base model. Dealers can make any adjustments you think will optimize the ride for your students. Many districts have prioritized advanced video systems for a variety of reasons. More cameras and angles have benefits for everyone involved on the route, including:
- Identification of bullying, vandalism, and discipline problems.
- Documentation of onboard behavior.
- 360-degree views of the exterior of the bus.
- Ability to capture license plates of stop-arm violators.
Mistake Three: Not Asking Questions
When you’re regularly purchasing vehicles for your school district’s fleet, your bus dealer is an invaluable resource. When you’ve found a dealer you can trust, take advantage of their expertise. Even if you’re buying the same model, they can walk you through any new features and advise you on other possibilities, such as:
- Extended warranties.
- Financing options.
- How telematics can improve your fleet’s efficiency.
- What’s involved in making your buses greener (alternative fuel systems, all-electric school buses, etc.).
Take your time so you’ll avoid these common mistakes when buying a school bus. Your students would remind you how important it is to do your homework, so do them proud. Whether you’re looking for a new or used school bus for sale or used school bus for sale, National Bus Sales can offer you a comprehensive selection with a variety of options. Contact us for details and more information, and we’ll deliver your bus to you anywhere in the country.